Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
9 E Homestead Ave. Palisades Park, NJ 07650 201-944-2107 Sundays 11:00 a.m. We preach Christ crucified (1. Corinthians 1,23)

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Palmarum Propers

Introit (Psalm 69,18.21.30.31.33; Matthew 21,9) 
Hosanna to the Son of David! 
Blessed is He who arrives in the Name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!
Draw nigh to Me and redeem Me: 
deliver Me because of Mine enemies.
They gave Me poison for food, 
and for My thirst they gave Me sour wine to drink.
I will praise the Name of God with a song; 
I will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord 
more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs.
For the Lord hears the needy 
and does not despise His own people who are prisoners.
Hosanna to the Son of David! 
Blessed is He who arrives in the Name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest! 

The Gloria Patri is omitted on Judica Sunday until the Easter Vigil. Judica begins the Passiontide. 

Collect of the Day
O Almighty and Everlasting God, You sent Your Son, our Savior Jesus Christ, to take upon Himself our flesh and to suffer death upon the cross. Mercifully grant that we may follow the example of His great humility and patience and be made partakers of His resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.  Amen. 

Isaiah 50,4-9 
4The Lord who is the Lord has given Me the tongue of those who are taught, so that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning He awakens; He awakens My ear to hear as those who are taught. 5The Lord who is the Lord has opened My ear, and I was not rebellious; I did not turn backward. 6I gave My back to those who strike, and My cheeks to be slapped; I did not hide My face from disgrace and spitting. 7But the Lord who is the Lord helps Me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set My face like a flint, and I know that I will not be put to shame. 8He who vindicates Me is near. Who will contend with Me? Let us stand up together. Who is My adversary? Let him draw near to Me. 9Behold, the Lord who is the Lord helps Me; who will declare Me guilty? Behold, all of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up. 

Gradual (Psalm 73,23b-24. 1)
You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will receive me to glory. Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. 

Philippians 2,5-11
5Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but made Himself nothing, taking the form of a slave, being born in the likeness of men. 8And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the Name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 

Matthew 21,1-9 
1Now when they drew near to Jerusalem and arrived at Beth-phage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, 2saying to them: „Go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them to Me. 3If anyone says anything to you, you shall say: ‘The Lord needs them,’ and he will send them at once.“ 4This took place to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying: 5»Say to the daughter of Zion: „Behold, your king is drawing near to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.“« [Zechariah 9,9] 6The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them. 7They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and He sat on the cloaks. 8Most of the crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. 9And the crowds that went before Him and that followed Him were shouting: „Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He who arrives in the Name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!“ 


No comments:

Post a Comment