Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
9 E Homestead Ave. Palisades Park, NJ 07650 201-944-2107 Sundays 11:00 a.m. We preach Christ crucified (1. Corinthians 1,23)

Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston, MA and West, TX

With sad hearts, the news media covered two tragedies this past week: the bombing at the Boston Marathon and the factory explosion in West, TX. We pray, and keep in our prayers, those injured and mourning loved ones and those caring for their physical and spiritual needs. 

O Heavenly Father, creation's Providence, work through the men and women who are helping those in Boston and West to bring comfort to those injured and suffering, bring peace to those hurting and restore them all to health and strength, so that in Your Light they see the light of Your providence and love.  Amen. 

Here is a portion of an old German Lutheran prayer which petitions God for protection: 

"I commend to You my life and soul, my honor and good desires. Let Your mercy and goodness always accompany me. Keep Your hand over me, whether I go or stay, sit or walk, awake or asleep. Shield me from the arrows, which are daily flung, from pestilence, the creeping darkness, from contagious diseases, and the midday spoilage. Bless my food, give me what You will, and what I need. Help me to properly use Your gifts. 
Keep us all from war, hunger, pestilence, and from an evil, sudden death. Protect my soul, my going out and coming in from now and until eternity. Bestow upon me a blissful end and let me cherish the upcoming days and await the appearance of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ with desire and delight. 
God the Father bless me and protect me, God the Son illuminate Your face on me and have mercy upon me, God the Holy Spirit place Your countenance upon me and give me Your peace.  Amen." (Kirchen-Gesangbuch für Evangelisch-Lutherische Gemeinden ungeänderter Augsburgischer Confession, 1892Translation © 2001 The Rev. Peter A. Bauernfeind.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment